Ladies, are you looking for ways to build long, lean and defined sexy legs? Here are several suggestions to help.
- Use fewer machines. Machines strictly isolate single muscles, but great legs are built with complex, multi-joint movements like squatting, box jumping, and lunges. These movements challenge your legs and require them to stabilize your entire body and activate your core.
- Try new approaches. Using equipment you wouldn’t normally use like resistance bands, TRX suspension straps, kettlebells, stability equipment and plyometrics – these new approaches will add variety to your workouts while challenging your muscles. Changing your workout regularly is one of the best ways to prevent boredom and stimulate new growth.
- Keep records. Tracking your progress in the gym including counting reps and sets and tracking how much you do each workout will help you see what works and what’s not working. If you are performing x sets of y reps and you are not seeing progress, it’s time to change it up. Do you need to train more often? Or cut back and take an extra rest day?
- Check your diet. If months of training haven’t produced results, maybe you are not supporting your hard training with proper diet and nutrition. Reduce those pre-packaged fast foods and add more natural healthy choices. Fewer burgers, fries, colas and pizzas and more fruits, vegetables, and water.
When choosing leg exercises, there are several that build great legs and a sexy butt, be sure to include:
1. Wall sits:
Wall sits are a simple and efficient leg workout without using weights. Stand next to and lean your back on a wall and slide down until your knees are at 90-degree angle and your thighs are perpendicular to the floor. Your entire back should be touching the wall. Hold briefly at the bottom of the movement and then slowly stand up. Perform 20 reps and gradually increase the number of sets.
- Find a wall and come into a squat position. Your feet are going to be out. Your knees are aligned with your ankles, and you’re going to push your weight back into the wall here.
- You want to make sure that you’re digging through your heels as you’re in your squat position and that your legs are 90 degrees.
- You’re just going to hold this here for about 30 seconds. If you’re more of a beginner, 30 seconds to a minute. You’re going to feel that burn right away, right in that quad area, that thigh area here.
- Then just stand up from there. That’s how you do the wall sit.
Start with your feet shoulder width apart and lower your body slowly as if you are about to sit on a chair. Lower your butt until your thighs are parallel to the floor and then pause briefly at the bottom of the movement then stand up and return to the start position. Perform 2-3 sets of 10-12 repetitions twice a week. Once you become comfortable with this exercise, add resistance with dumbbells in each hand or a barbell on your shoulders.
Learn more about squat exercise:
- How To Squat Safely And Effectively
- The Perfect Squat For Strong Shapely Thighs and Buttocks – And Common Mistakes To Avoid
3. Toe raises:
Great legs need great calves. Stand up with feet shoulder width apart on a raised board or the edge of a step and lift your heels until you are standing on your toes and hold briefly at the top. Lower your heels slowly back to the starting position. Perform 15-20 repetitions and gradually increase the number of sets.
Three simple exercises to start your leg workouts on your way to developing those curvy, sexy legs.