Metabolism describes the “speed” by which your body burns calories. People who want to lose weight look for ways to boost, or increase their metabolism and burn more body fat. One proven way to increase your metabolism is to be more active and do a combination of aerobic and resistance training. A second way is to eat foods that boost your metabolism.
The best ones are:
1. Citrus fruits contain plenty of vitamins, Vitamin C and decrease insulin levels. Insulin and the resulting release of cortisol trigger your body to store fat. Researchers have found that people who eat grapefruit regularly experience more weight loss than people who don’t. Check with your doctor if you want to drastically increase your grapefruit consumption as it may cause negative interactions with your prescribed medications.
2. Green Tea. Green tea and especially “matcha” teas boost metabolism. Green tea increases brain activity and your nervous system and causes your body to burn more calorie. Green tea contains high amounts of polyphenols which activate the enzymes that are responsible for dissolving excess triglycerides (fats). The health benefits of green tea are related to the powerful antioxidants called catechin polyphenols. One, known as EGCG or epigallocatechin gallate specifically stimulates the metabolism and accelerates weight loss.
3. Studies suggest overweight people who add apples to their daily diet will lose more weight than people who don’t. The addition of apples to your diet will also satisfy your sugar cravings and will reduce your appetite. The pectin in apples will help you feel full sooner and longer. A similar result can be achieved with pears.
4. Water suppresses your appetite by helping you feel full and by flushing out toxins and sodium. Researchers in Germany found a 30 percent metabolic rate increase in people who drinking plenty of water over those who drink none.
5. Broccoli is one of the best foods to speed your metabolism. High calcium content, plenty of vitamin A, fiber, folate and vitamin C, that raises calcium absorption. It is a low calories food which has positive effects on your immunity, protects against diseases and helps weight loss.
6. It helps to reduce your cravings and boost your metabolism. Researchers at Laval University in Canada found that especially jalapeno and cayenne peppers contain Capsaicin which temporarily stimulates your body to release more stress hormones, that will raise your metabolism.
7. Yogurt has a high content of calcium, a high level of protein and contains also bacteria that are good for your digestive system. The protein requires a lot of energy to be processed and will increase your metabolism.
8. It has been found in many studies that protein is one of the best foods to boost metabolism, build muscle and burn fat. Turkey is a lean protein favorite because is rich in protein and contains little fat.
9. They are the good food to boost metabolism and are a rich in antioxidants. vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and potassium. Spinach boosts your metabolism and increases the number of calories burned by your body.
10. Athletes often choose oatmeal for breakfast, It is high in nutrients and is considered one of the “good” carbs. It has also plenty of fiber which helps to fight cholesterol and to provide the energy needed for your workouts.